Final 8 Cards

My final eight card designs are finished!!  Printed on card, cut out and paper inserts glued in. I’m so happy with them and think they work really well as a collection together. In the photo you can see a couple of the props I will be using in my studio space for my presentation.

Advertisements

Final 8 Cards – Starting To Cut My Designs Out 

Today I began cutting out my final 8 card designs. I printed my cards onto thick card at the PrintStudio at university so that they had a  professional finish.  I have given myself plenty of time to do this as they have a lot of detail and are quite fiddily so I don’t want to feel rushed. I am cutting out sections including the windows and the background so that my paper insert which I am creating using bubble wrap and corrugated card prints digitally stitched with different phrases which relate to moving home, for example ‘congratulations on your new home’ the idea is that  you cannot fully see the print of what the writing says until you go “inside the house” or open the card.   

 


Final Samples

 Here are my final samples which I have created using digital stitch and fabric paint. These were originally drawings from my sketchbook, selected these 8 as I believed they were the most successful and each showed variety within my theme. I wanted the four houses for my cards to be different types of houses so I have chosen a town house, a Victorian terrace, a cottage and a thatched house – the idea behind this is that the customer would find a house that relates to them most and would select the house that they would be moving into. If this was a bigger collection of cards I would have designed a further array of house designs but I felt that some variation was needed within my collection, not just houses. I will also be stitching out a bicycle and some flower pots which are also in my sketchbook to create more of a scene which was mentioned in one of my tutorials. 

  
    
    
    
 


Sketchbook work on a rainy Saturday..

Today I decided to do some drawing in my sketchbook. After my last stitch work where I added a hanging basket to the outside of the house I decided the designs would be s lot more successful if i added some small cute details, like plants pots, flowers and bicycles. So this is what I began drawing. I used a mixture of watercolours and a very thin fine liner. I mixed all the colours so that they were the correct colours from my palette and tested them onto a print out of my colour palette. I was pleased with how close I managed to get my colours! 

   
   


Tutorial

Today I had a tutorial with Keireine, I hadn’t seen her for a tutorial during this project so it was good to get her opinion on my ideas. Keireine was very positive about my ideas and my prototype which I had created yesterday. She suggested I create my prototypes directly onto brown card not white as this colour change will change how the design looks overall. She also asked me to think about my mark making samples explaining they could look too busy and confusing behind my stitch work. This was something I had already thought about it although Keireine suggested using plain bubble wrap, photographing it, scanning it etc instead of printing different coloured paints from my palette.

Keireine also mentioned that I need to start thinking about creating a logo and brand name for my collection and also to think about the back of my card designs and also envelope design. Also where will people be able to write on the card design as if I use bubble wrap you will be able to see through it onto the back of the card.

Finally, she advised me on how I should be updating and adjusting my studio space and boards. My moodboards should now be on the side of the space as these are no longer the main focus of my space. I should be putting up my related samples and prototypes onto the main pin board area of my studio space.

Overall I thought the tutorial was very positive and has helped me in progressing with this project!


Photoshop Prototypes

Whilst waiting for my tutorial today I began creating some quick prototype design ideas on Photoshop where I scanned in my motifs and placed into a card shape. Realistically, there will be variations in card size so these are generalised design ideas and will be more detailed when I come to actually make them. So far I only have 5 motifs stitched out but I have the drawings ready for all 8 designs. I will be finishing off these digital stitches over the next few workshop sessions. These do look quite plain at the moment but with my mark making samples behind them hopefully they will be more brought to life! I have decided that to make sure the cards are obviously new home cards I will be stitching onto these mark making backgrounds with text like “Home Sweet Home”, “Key to your New Home” etc. Each of these motifs will also be stitched out onto the same fabric as at the moment the difference in colour/type of fabric makes me feel the designs don’t work so well as a collection.

Card 1 Card 2 Card 3 Card 4 Card 5


Starting to Make Prototypes!

This evening I had a sudden surge of enthusiasm for my design ideas and so decided to start making a prototype. The idea of the design is that it should look like a luggage tag, the white paper will actually brown card. Each motif will have parts cut out and also behind the motif. There will then be a section of mark making inspired by or created using media related to home/moving home, for example, tea/coffee/newspaper/corrugated cardboard/bubble wrap. This is something I need to think about as one of the mark making samples I already have is way too busy for this design and did not work well behind the house. I will continue to make prototypes for all 8 card designs.

prototype1